Home Owner’s Insurance – Filing a Claim
When purchasing a home owner’s policy, the hope is that you won’t need to use it! However, damages do occur and when they happen to you your insurance policy steps in to help. When damage or loss of your home occurs, it can be a stressful and difficult time. Here are a few tips for making the claim process smooth and as worry-free as possible.
- Review your policy. Be aware of what coverage you have including what perils are covered. Specifics like how the damage occurs may be important when filing your claim, so make sure you know what coverage you have first.
- Collect information and documentation. Hopefully, prior to the loss, you made a list of your belongings and their value and stored this in a safe place. If not, make a thorough and complete list of property lost or damaged. Take pictures of damage.
- Contact your insurance agent to get claim forms and review the steps that you will need to take to submit your claim.
- Complete forms to the best of your ability. Current and comprehensive information will help in the claim process.
- Check with your agent to make sure you complete the claims process correctly and that your claim goes to the right place.
- Follow-up. Contact the insurance company to check the progress of your claim.